2 replies to this topic

#1 Hamp

Hamp

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 107 posts
  • LocationDenver Colorado

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:22 PM

Oh how I hate the new “You are too stupid to use this program” feature on Word. If you do not know what I am talking about I have the latest in Microsoft’s attempt at raising my blood pressure so high that I stroke out, it is called Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus. I am sure all of you are at least familiar with Microsoft Word which comes as part of the Microsoft office line of crap you do not need. Word has always been a love/hate program for me. I love that it really is not all that hard to use, I hate that it takes 3 hours to set it up to your liking before you can love using it. Well now Microsoft has gone and “fixed” a problem that people really did not need fixed, it saves your document for you. You no longer need to hit file, scroll down and hit “save as” or “save” depending if you have already saved the document or not. I guess the people at Microsoft thought that the process of saving your own document was way too hard for your simple minds to comprehend. So now the program saves the document for you, no need for all that “save” pushing as you go along.

“Hamp, why are you so upset? This is a good thing, this will save a lot of work from being lost.” You would be right if you were talking about the ‘auto-recovery’ feature that Microsoft has, I admit to that feature saving my butt on more than one occasion. However, the autosave feature is not the same thing. The autosave feature will save your work without you even knowing it every few seconds or so. So lets say you are working on a 1500 word essay, and you want to see how a particular line will look in your essay, you type it is, it is saved. You don’t like it you delete it, now it is saved again. You can shut down your computer and everything is good. Now lets say you are in nursing school and you have a lot of diseases that need to be defined, diagnosed, assessed, plan of care listed,implementations assessed and patient educations that also need to be found and listed; nursing students will know this as ADPIE, it’s a thing. So as a super cool and savvy student you type up a Blank Template so you do not have to reformat each and every disease process. This will save a lot of time so long as you have an older version of word. In the new version you will type in your disease, and no longer have a blank template, you have a file named ’blanktemplate’ but you no longer have a blank template with which to type in your next disease because the nimrods at Microsoft do not want you to have a blank template. Every time you type something into your template it saves it, thus no longer being blank.

“Now Hamp, you know as well as I all you have to do is turn off the Autosave feature…..” You think? Guess again. From their own help area in Word….” Can I turn AutoSave off forever? No. However, you can turn AutoSave Off for a file, and the program will remember to keep it off every time you reopen that file” Now isn’t that just nifty, you can turn it off for a file and it will remember…..I call BS, as I type this, oddly enough, in Word the “Autosave On/Off” is grayed out so I cannot turn it off. Good thing I do not want to save a copy of this rant……oh wait I guess I have it saved if I want it saved or not.

How many of you have typed a raging rant to or about your significant other only to delete it after realizing how petty you were being, or just felt better after getting it off your chest and never had the thought of sending that rant to them? How safe is the password on your computer because with the new autosave feature you cannot turn off, they may just come across it. Just wait till thy come out with the new “Auto-Email” feature next update!

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
― Emerson

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion."

- L. Naumann

#2 Bookie61

Bookie61

Begining Ranter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

Well, for someone like me, auto save is a wonderful thing, as I get dragged off in the middle of virtually everything I' am doing, as I am fond of saying, my interruptions are only interrupted by more interruptions.  The result, is that I may be in the middle of something, and not remember to hit the save button.

That being said, I am a strong supporter of the right of choice.  At least let opinionated people like Hamp turn the blessed feature off, so we all don't have to hear about it!  :P

• Hamp likes this

#3 Hamp

Hamp

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 107 posts
  • LocationDenver Colorado

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

LOL I know I rant on some of the stupidest things!

• Bookie61 likes this

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
― Emerson

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion."

- L. Naumann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Rant Page
Friends of The Rant Page Wes Kidwell Bail Bonds Firework Reviews