3 replies to this topic

#1 Damien

Damien

New Ranter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

it simply has to stop... a couple of days ago, a 11 year old boy at a cricket practice was beaten and stabbed to death by his father... in front of his mother, and men, women and children also attending the cricket practice..

http://www.heraldsun...2-1226825088945

This young man's life was taken far too early and left a community (and country) stunned and hurt.

The police commissioner admitted failings of the police - they could have arrested the father 3 weeks before... he had 5 outstanding warrants - but a computer glitch meant that he was not arrested...

Without going into the still-painful details, I know what it is like to be a family member when something like this occurs.

No more excuses, no more unnecessary deaths.

#2 Hamp

Hamp

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 109 posts
  • LocationDenver Colorado

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

I agree this has to stop but I also have to wonder.........

I know how much you hate politics so I will do my best to keep them out of this conversation but I dabbling may be necessary.

Law enforcement in both of our countries are stretched to the limit, between funding, education and training it is a wonder law enforcement has time to do much of anything. In the states (it is of my opinion) that law officers are glorified meter-maids writing tickets for speeding and improper turns all in the name of the dollar, they are not protecting or serving. There is an element in my country that wants to outlaw guns and place our trust in the police officers to protect us from a criminal element, I ask how can they protect the guy down the street when an officer is writing me a speeding ticket?

In the sad case you bring up you mention "in front of his mother, and men, women and children" you do not mention their actions, I assume knowing the country you reside in, that they did not just stand by and allow this to happen, but all too often people do just that, they freeze out of fear, panic or just not knowing what else to do, but you can be rest assured if I saw a man with a knife threatening a child he would find my 240 lb (108.9 Kg) body flying at his to do a bit of physical harm myself. All too often we do stand by and do nothing then are the first to point fingers at the police for not doing their jobs. At least here in the States, the police are no longer there to "protect and Serve" they are fund raisers because our elected politicians do not properly fund them.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
― Emerson

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion."

- L. Naumann

#3 Damien

Damien

New Ranter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

I agree with you, Hamp.  No one really blames the police at all - even the boy's mother is not blaming the police.  They are stretched to breaking point, yet do a great job with what they can.

By the way, the police commissioner was on the verge of tears when he made that admission.

You're right, people responded when the attack took place, either by protecting their loved ones, calling the police or running over to help - but it happened very fast.  The father was shot dead when he threatened the police as well (they arrived very quickly as well).

If I were there, my 300lb frame would have become a battering ram, in an attempt to take that son-of-a-motherless-goat down - as a teacher, I am fiercely protective and will (and have) put myself between the child and harm - regardless of the 'cost'.

• Hamp likes this

#4 Elderban

Elderban

Begining Ranter

• Administrators
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

Very sad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2019 The Rant Page